How does smoking affect my health?

One in 8 who smoke a pack or more a day  get lung cancer.One in about 320 who don't smoke get lung cancer. And it also causes heart disease, emphysema , and increases the risk for bladder and other cancers because the inhaled smoke contains about a thousand chemicals many of which are known to cause cancer.Once smoke is inhaled these chemicals circulate around the body and wash out in the urine which is why cancer of the bladder is increased about five fold over non smokers.
A woman who s a heavy smoker loses about 14 years of life. A man loses about 8 years.
Cigarette smoking is the single most preventable cause of premature death in the United States, and that's primarily because it boosts your risk for cardiovascular disease. Smoking cigarettes raises blood pressure, increases the tendency for blood to clot, decreases good cholesterol, and makes it harder for you to get the vital exercise your heart needs. All of this makes cigarette smoking one of the greatest causes of coronary heart disease. The first step in your commitment to health is to quit.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

How does smoking affect my asthma?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Asthma causes irritation and inflammation of the airways which makes the airways more reactive. The...
How does smoking affect cholesterol levels?
Smoking makes it more likely that bad low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "lousy" cholesterol will accu...
How Does Smoking Affect My Risk of Developing Cancer?
Skin Cancer and Smokers
Skin Cancer and Smokers