Q

Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Does smoking increase my risk for kidney problems?

• A answered

Smoking can certainly contribute to kidney damage. It is a primary risk factor for a condition called renal artery disease, in which blockages form in the renal arteries that supply the kidneys with blood. These blockages, when severe and if left untreated, can cause dangerously high blood pressure and kidney failure. Cigarette smoking speeds up the build-up of a fatty substance called plaque inside your arteries, causes blood vessels to constrict or tighten, and contributes to clotting in the renal arteries.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What are the dangers of smoking?