Q

Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Does smoking increase my risk of prostate cancer?

• A Hematology & Oncology, answered on behalf of

Smoking is not known to increase the risk of prostate cancer, but is linked to increased risk of other cancers, including: head and neck, lung, esophageal, and bladder.

• A , Urology, answered
    There is no direct link between prostate cancer and smoking. There is a very strong link between smoking and bladder cancer, however. 
  • A answered

Cigarette smoking has been associated with the development of several cancers, so it is reasonable that it could be related to prostate cancer, too. Some studies have linked prostate cancer to carcinogens present in tobacco smoke, and other studies have suggested that the impact of smoking on hormone levels may influence the development of prostate cancer. But, overall, the data are not convincing that there is a real, independent increase in risk from smoking. Some studies show a relationship; others do not. Two very large studies, however, have provided similar data supporting a weak relationship. One was a 26-year follow-up of nearly 250,000 veterans, including 4,600 prostate cancer deaths. The second was from a relatively younger cohort of 350,000 men in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial (MRFIT), including 826 deaths over 16 years of follow-up. The two studies showed remarkably similar results, a small dose-related increase in risk of death from smoking.

Recent evidence suggests a stronger effect of heavy smoking on the progression to fatal prostate cancer, rather than on overall incidence. A recent report from the Health Professionals Follow-Up study supports this. Smoking was not related to an increase in the overall incidence of prostate cancer, but heavy smokers (one-and-one-half pack per day) for the previous 10 years had about twice the risk for metastatic and fatal prostate cancer compared to nonsmokers. For some reason, smoking may have contributed to a relatively minor cancer becoming more aggressive. This relationship needs further study, but it supports not smoking if prostate health is a concern.

• Smoking doesn't increase your risk of prostate cancer but can increase your risk of other forms of urologic cancer -- bladder and ureter. Also, at least 50% of men with prostate cancer ultimately die of heart disease, so smoking is never a good idea.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
If I quit smoking but gain weight, won’t that be just as bad for my heart?