Does smoking increase my risk of atrial fibrillation?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
Smoking increases the risk of developing atrial fibrillation (AFib), a study warns. Researchers writing in "HeartRhythm" reviewed data from more than 15,000 people, ages 45 to 64, who were followed for an average of 13 years, and found that there were 876 AFib events during that time. The risk of the abnormal heart rhythm was 1.32 times higher in former smokers and two times higher in current smokers, compared with people who never smoked.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Does smoking increase my risk of having a stroke?
SCAISCAI
Smoking doubles your risk of having a stroke. For younger women, the combination of smoking and oral...
Can smoking increase my risk of hearing loss?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
In one study cigarette smokers were 70 percent more likely to lose their hearing than nonsmokers. Yo...
Skin Cancer and Smokers
Skin Cancer and Smokers
Is It Still Possible to Get COPD or Emphysema Years After I Quit Smoking?