What are some of the damaging health effects of smoking?

When you smoke, a mixture of gases is released near your noses, eyes and throat. Your eyes might water and your nose might run. Your throat will likely get irritated.

Then tiny hairs, called cilia, will go to work to clean your lungs and bronchial tubes of foreign matter. Think of cilia as the body's street sweepers.

However, smoking can paralyze and even kill cilia so they can't go to work.

If you smoke, the cilia that you have not killed will get back to work. That explains why you may wake up coughing. Your cilia are back at it.

But then, when you light up, the cilia is paralyzed and the hacking stops.

A lot of what smokers inhale turns into tar. Besides its disgusting nature, tar kills healthy lung cells. A smoker with a pack-a-day habit ingests a full cup of tar each year into his or her lungs.

It should come as no surprise that inhaling tobacco toxins easily takes the cake as the deadliest habit. But here’s something you may not know: Someone who has smoked for 40 years has shaved nearly 10 years off their life and increased their risk of lung cancer 20 times.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Let me begin by saying that smoking is one of the most addictive and most destructive things you can do to the human body. There is absolutely no benefit from this life threatening habit. According to the American Lung association some damages associated with smoking is as follows.

• Cigarettes cause cancer. Smoking is the number one cause of deaths due to lung cancer, emphysema, and other serious diseases.
  • For every person who dies of smoking-related illness, 20 more suffer from a chronic disease due to smoking.
  • Smoking doesn't just hurt you. Second-hand smoke from your cigarettes is a serious danger to your children, family, and friends.
Cigarette Smoke

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Does smoking cause cancer?
Yes. Smoking is the leading cause of cancer and death from cancer. Smoking can cause cancers of the ...
Does cigarette smoke have immediate effects?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Exposure to tobacco smoke causes immediate damage to your body that can lead to serious illness or d...
Can I Reverse the Aging Process Caused by Smoking?
Is It Still Possible to Get COPD or Emphysema Years After I Quit Smoking?