What should I know before taking glatiramer?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you are hypersensitive to mannitol, you should not take glatiramer.

If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are planning a pregnancy, glatiramer may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

It is not known if glatiramer is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.

If you are breastfeeding, glatiramer may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Immunological Agent

Does natalizumab interact with any other medications?
If you are taking any of the following drugs, natalizumab can lead to side effects and should be avo...
How effective are TNF inhibitors at treating psoriatic arthritis?
TNF inhibitors are among the most effective treatments for psoriatic arthritis. Study results vary f...
How effective is cyclosporine at treating psoriasis?
Cyclosporine controls psoriasis for many people. In up to 90%, symptoms greatly improve or clear up ...
What should I know before treatment with integrin receptor antagonists?
Before prescribing natalizumab, your doctor will do a blood test to check for antibodies to the viru...