What is Humira?

Humira, the prescription drug adalimumab, is one of a family of medications called tumor necrosis factor blockers or inhibitors. It is prescribed to help with the symptoms of the following autoimmune conditions: rheumatoid arthritis, polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, plaque psoriasis, and Crohn's disease. A person affected by any of these diseases produces too much of a protein called a tumor necrosis factor. This protein creates inflammation in the joints and/or other areas. Humira blocks the inflammation caused by tumor necrosis factor. This medication comes in liquid form and is injected beneath the surface of the skin. It is used for both adults and children.

Continue Learning about Immunological Agent

What should I know before using cyclosporine eyedrops?
It is not known if cyclosporine eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 16 years old. If ...
What should I know before taking glatiramer?
If you are hypersensitive to mannitol, you should not take glatiramer. If you are pregnant, may be ...
How effective are tumor necrosis factor inhibitors at treating psoriasis?
TNF inhibitors work quickly and are very effective. Many peoples' symptoms improve by 75% or more. T...
How effective is natalizumab?
Natalizumab is one of the most effective drugs for treating MS. It reduces the rate of relapses by m...