What should I know about cyclosporine before taking it?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Your doctor will need to perform blood tests before you start treatment.

If you have an immune system problem, cyclosporine may not be a good option for you.

Cyclosporine is not recommended for people with psoriatic arthritis affecting the spine or sacroiliac joints.

If you have cancer, you should not take cyclosporine.

If you have uncontrolled hypertension, you should not take cyclosporine.

If you have impaired kidney function, you should not take cyclosporine.

Cyclosporine may not be a good option for you if you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

You should not take cyclosporine if you are breastfeeding.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Immunological Agent

How is cyclosporine used to treat psoriasis?
Cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral) is a drug that suppresses the immune system. It is taken as a daily p...
What should I know before taking tumor necrosis factor inhibitors?
Your doctor will need to check your liver function and test for tuberculosis and hepatitis B before ...
Does tocilizumab interact with any other medications?
If you are taking abatacept, belimumab, fingolimod, natalizumab, pimecrolimus, tacrolimus, tofacitin...
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD