What is the role of the immune system?

Our immune system is our body's vital self-policing system. It constantly monitors our health and goes into action to thwart any potential problems. When we pick up viruses or bacteria, our immune system works to find and destroy them. When a threat occurs from within the body—such as when a cell becomes malignant—the immune system works to root it out.

The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

The role of the immune system is to defend the body against infection. The immune system is made up of different cells that work to get rid of germs before they cause infections.

Continue Learning about Immune System

Increase Your Fitness, Reduce Your Risk for Serious Diseases
If you’re one of the millions of Americans who have gotten the message, “Stand up, move, walk, play, get active,” congratulations! Back in 2011 the CD...
Can a child receive bone marrow from a relative?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
You can use a relative, an unrelated volunteer donor, or umbilical cord blood in a bone marrow trans...
How can I build up my immune system if I am at school?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Having a strong immune system will help your body fight off infections more effectively. Getting eno...
Reset Your Circadian Rhythms for Surprising Health Benefits