How does photopheresis work?

Photopheresis works by turning off malfunctioning white blood cells. In photopheresis, a nurse attaches a thin tube to a line that has already been placed in the chest. The other end of the tube is connected to the photopheresis machine. Blood travels through the tube to the machine, which separates red cells from the white cells. The red blood cells go straight back into the bloodstream. The white cells stay in the machine for the next part of the treatment. Next, medicine is added to the white blood cells. To work properly, the medicine has to be activated first. Ultraviolet light from the photopheresis machine activates the medicine. The medicine switches off the malfunctioning white blood cells. After that, the white blood cells are returned to the bloodstream.

Continue Learning about Immune System

What can I do to strengthen my immune system?
Keeping your immune system strong, is one of the most important things you can do to stay healthy. A...
What does the lymph system do?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The lymph system is probably most familiar to people because doctors often check for "swollen lymph ...
What Is Immune System Depression?
What Is Immune System Depression?
What Is the Role of the Gut in the Immune System?