Will I pass sarcoidosis on to my children?

There is significant evidence to suggest that people with close family members affected by sarcoidosis are at an increased risk of developing the condition themselves. But this link varies from population to population, and it is far from certain that a person with sarcoidosis will pass the condition onto their children. Sarcoidosis most likely arises out of a combination of environmental and genetic factors, and not enough is yet known about the causes to determine a person's risk of inheriting sarcoidosis.

Continue Learning about Immune & Lymphatic System Disorders

Immune & Lymphatic System Disorders

The lymphatic system is a key part of the immune system, draining excess fluid from bodily tissues and organs and disseminating white blood cells to fight infection. The white blood cells fight infection in the spleen and special ...

vessels throughout the body called lymph nodes. If your immune system becomes compromised, the lymphatic system wont be able to work properly, causing swelling from a buildup of fluid in parts of the body. Disorders of the lymphatic system include elephantiasis, a swelling of body parts caused by a filarial worm infestation, and lymphedema, a swelling in the arms or legs caused by lymph nodes or lymph vessels disturbed by surgery for breast or prostate cancer. Medication, massage therapy and compression garments can help.