What are the treatments for paraneoplastic syndromes?

When paraneoplastic syndromes are present, the tumor and cancer are treated first, followed by efforts to decrease the autoimmune response, either through steroids such as cortisone or prednisone, high-dose intravenous immunoglobulin or irradiation. Plasmapheresis, a process that cleanses antibodies from the blood, may ease the symptoms in people with paraneoplastic disorders that affect the peripheral nervous system. The speech and physical therapy may help individuals regain some functions.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Immune & Lymphatic System Disorders

Should I consider a thymectomy for my myasthenia gravis?
The thymus gland is believed to play a key role in the development of myasthenia gravis. Surgically ...
What is mesenteric lymphadenitis?
Mesenteric lymphadenitis is an inflammation of lymph nodes. These lymph nodes, which are clusters of...
Should I talk to my doctor about symptoms of granulomatosis with polyangiitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If you have a runny nose that won't clear up, a chronic sinus infection that is not responding to ov...
What Is Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric OCD?