Why are my hands swollen and fingers puffed up like sausages?

Swollen hands and sausage-like fingers are common first symptoms of mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD). You may also be noticing that your hands become bluish or numb when you are cold or upset. This is called Raynaud's phenomenon and is another early symptom of MCTD. If you are experiencing these or other symptoms, such as muscle weakness or arthritis, you may want to talk to your doctor about a blood test to look for MCTD.

Continue Learning about Immune & Lymphatic System Disorders

Immune & Lymphatic System Disorders

The lymphatic system is a key part of the immune system, draining excess fluid from bodily tissues and organs and disseminating white blood cells to fight infection. The white blood cells fight infection in the spleen and special ...

vessels throughout the body called lymph nodes. If your immune system becomes compromised, the lymphatic system wont be able to work properly, causing swelling from a buildup of fluid in parts of the body. Disorders of the lymphatic system include elephantiasis, a swelling of body parts caused by a filarial worm infestation, and lymphedema, a swelling in the arms or legs caused by lymph nodes or lymph vessels disturbed by surgery for breast or prostate cancer. Medication, massage therapy and compression garments can help.