What is the most-used psychoactive drug in the world?

Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine

Caffeine is the most popular and widely used psychoactive drug in the world today.

Believe it or not, it's caffeine, also known as the compound 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine. It occurs naturally and produces a stimulating physiological effect, exciting the central nervous system and triggering the release of pleasure-producing chemicals in the brain.

Continue Learning about Illegal Drug Use

How can I protect myself from being a victim of date rape drugs?
You can protect yourself by following these steps:Don't accept drinks from other people. Open contai...
Does marijuana help with multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Cannibis sativa (more commonly known as marijuana) contains chemical compounds called cannabinoids t...
How does taking ecstasy affect the brain?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Ecstasy (methylenedioxymethamphetamine, or MDMA) affects the brain by increasing the activity of at ...
What Are the Main Causes of Hepatitis C in the Baby Boomers Generation?