What are the effects of cocaine?

Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine Specialist

Like other stimulant drugs, cocaine makes people feel happy, energetic and mentally alert. It also constricts blood vessels and boosts body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure. Chronic use can lead to paranoia and psychosis. Withdrawal symptoms include fatigue, anxiety, irritability, depression and sleepiness.

Mental effects of cocaine may include loss of contact with reality, an intense feeling of happiness or agitation. Physical symptoms may include a fast heart rate, sweating and large pupils. High doses can result in very high blood pressure or body temperature. Effects begin within seconds to minutes of use and last between five and ninety minutes.

Continue Learning about Illegal Drug Use

What substances are most often abused?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
Here are the most abused substances:OTC (over-the-counter) medicines are mostly abused by adolescent...
How common is illegal drug use?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
An estimated 48.5 million persons in the US, or 18 percent of persons aged 12 years and older, used ...
What should I do if I think I've been drugged and raped?
You can do the following:Get medical care right away. Have a trusted friend take you to a hospital e...
What Are the Main Causes of Hepatitis C in the Baby Boomers Generation?