Is hypotonia life-threatening?

On its own, hypotonia itself usually isn't life-threatening. If hypotonia causes problems breathing due to a lack of muscle tone in the lungs and other muscles involved in breathing, there may be dangerous complications. Also, the underlying cause of the condition may be life-threatening if it's a severe neurological or muscle disorder. For the most part, however, hypotonia affects daily life but isn't life-threatening.

Continue Learning about Hypotonia (Low Muscle Tone)

What should I know about caring for someone with hypotonia?
When caring for someone with hypotonia, the most important thing is to follow your doctor's advice f...
How does hypotonia affect the body?
Since hypotonia can be caused by a number of conditions, it may affect the body in a variety of ways...
How do medications treat hypotonia?
Generally, medications aren't the primary treatment used for hypotonia. However, treatment depends o...
Should I talk to a doctor about my hypotonia symptoms?
If you or your child is experiencing symptoms of hypotonia, or low muscle tone, it's best to talk wi...