How does hypotonia affect the body?

Since hypotonia can be caused by a number of conditions, it may affect the body in a variety of ways. Hypotonia usually causes low muscle tone throughout the body's voluntary muscles. Babies with hypotonia may have poor neck control, causing their heads to fall to one side. Their limbs may also be limp or "floppy." Hypotonia may also cause trouble with walking and posture, and may lead to breathing problems if respiratory muscles are affected.

Continue Learning about Hypotonia (Low Muscle Tone)

Should I talk to a doctor about my hypotonia symptoms?
If you or your child is experiencing symptoms of hypotonia, or low muscle tone, it's best to talk wi...
How do medications treat hypotonia?
Generally, medications aren't the primary treatment used for hypotonia. However, treatment depends o...
Are there alternative treatments for hypotonia?
Treatment for hypotonia-including alternative treatment-usually depends on the underlying condition ...
What should I know about caring for someone with hypotonia?
When caring for someone with hypotonia, the most important thing is to follow your doctor's advice f...