How do medications treat hypotonia?

Generally, medications aren't the primary treatment used for hypotonia. However, treatment depends on the underlying cause of the low muscle tone. If the underlying condition is an infection or other disorder that can be treated with medications, then medication may also help hypotonia. Usually, hypotonia is most commonly treated with physical, occupational, and speech therapies to strengthen muscles and help with everyday tasks that may be affected by decreased muscle tone.

Continue Learning about Hypotonia (Low Muscle Tone)

Should I talk to a doctor about my hypotonia symptoms?
If you or your child is experiencing symptoms of hypotonia, or low muscle tone, it's best to talk wi...
Is there a cure for hypotonia?
Depending on the underlying cause of the condition, there may or may not be a cure for hypotonia. In...
Can hypotonia be prevented?
Because hypotonia may be caused by a wide variety of conditions ranging from genetic neurological di...
How is hypotonia treated?
Treatment of hypotonia begins with a thorough diagnostic evaluation, including an assessment of moto...