How do medications treat hypotonia?

Generally, medications aren't the primary treatment used for hypotonia. However, treatment depends on the underlying cause of the low muscle tone. If the underlying condition is an infection or other disorder that can be treated with medications, then medication may also help hypotonia. Usually, hypotonia is most commonly treated with physical, occupational, and speech therapies to strengthen muscles and help with everyday tasks that may be affected by decreased muscle tone.

Continue Learning about Hypotonia (Low Muscle Tone)

What should I know about caring for someone with hypotonia?
When caring for someone with hypotonia, the most important thing is to follow your doctor's advice f...
Can hypotonia be prevented?
Because hypotonia may be caused by a wide variety of conditions ranging from genetic neurological di...
How do I manage my hypotonia on a daily basis?
Managing hypotonia generally depends on the cause for the decreased muscle tone. Many of the conditi...
Are there alternative treatments for hypotonia?
Treatment for hypotonia-including alternative treatment-usually depends on the underlying condition ...