Can hypotonia be prevented?

Because hypotonia may be caused by a wide variety of conditions ranging from genetic neurological disorders to injuries, it's hard to say whether it can be prevented. In rare cases where hypotonia is caused by birth defects, taking precautions for a healthy pregnancy may be a preventive measure. But generally, it may be difficult to prevent because it's often caused by genetic disorders.  However, by diagnosing and treating any underlying conditions, you may be able to prevent hypotonia. Also, you may be able to reduce the symptoms of hypotonia through physical and occupational therapy, which may help reduce the impact of the condition on your everyday life.

Continue Learning about Hypotonia (Low Muscle Tone)

How do medications treat hypotonia?
Generally, medications aren't the primary treatment used for hypotonia. However, treatment depends o...
How is hypotonia diagnosed?
Because hypotonia may be caused by such a wide variety of problems, there are many things a doctor m...
Is there a cure for hypotonia?
Depending on the underlying cause of the condition, there may or may not be a cure for hypotonia. In...
How do I manage my hypotonia on a daily basis?
Managing hypotonia generally depends on the cause for the decreased muscle tone. Many of the conditi...