Should I be worried if my infant feels limp?

If your infant feels limp when you pick him or her up, your child may have congenital hypothyroidism. One symptom of congenital hypothyroidism is a lack of muscle definition, and in infants, this results in little resistance when you lift or hold your child. Tell your pediatrician about this right away. If congenital hypothyroidism is treated within the first month of life, you can prevent many of its complications.

Continue Learning about Hypothyroidism

I’m Tired All the Time – Is That Normal?
Do you often feel exhausted with more than your run-of-the-mill fatigue? Hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, may be to blame. We talked to endocri...
What does it mean if I have a thyroid-stimulating hormone deficiency?
Joshua B. Bederson, MDJoshua B. Bederson, MD
TSH deficiency means that the thyroid gland is not stimulated to make enough thyroid hormone, wh...
What are natural treatments for hypothyroidism?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Alternative treatments for hypothyroidism include “natural” medication in the form of desiccated ani...
What Foods Should I Eat If I Have an Underactive Thyroid?