What are the synthetic thyroid products?

Synthroid is a synthetic form of T4, the thyroid hormone. Cytomel is a synthetic form of T3, another thyroid hormone. Both are very similar to the naturally-occuring forms of thyroid hormone in the body. It would be best to discuss your options with your physician.

Synthetic thyroid products are medications that were produced to mimic the effect of the active thyroid hormone in the body known as T4, which is made by the thyroid gland. There are several FDA approved synthetic thyroid products. One is Synthroid (levothyroxine), which mimics T4 in the body. The body must then be able to process T4 to become T3 to be active.

Continue Learning about Hypothyroidism

I’m Tired All the Time – Is That Normal?
Do you often feel exhausted with more than your run-of-the-mill fatigue? Hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, may be to blame. We talked to endocri...
How do I manage hypothyroidism on a daily basis?
In nearly every case, hypothyroidism is treated by taking synthetic thyroid hormone every day. When ...
What is subclinical hypothyroidism?
Subclinical hypothyroidism means that blood tests indicate hypothyroidism by the presence of high le...
The Health Risks of Drugstore Thyroid Pills