What are the side effects of thyroid replacement medicines?

You need to get your thyroid levels checked first and foremost, and based on the results, begin taking thyroid replacement medication. Weight gain is a side effect of hypothyroidism. There are a variety of doses available so sometimes it takes some dose adjustment to get to the correct level for you. By working closely with your doctor, and getting blood levels drawn, you should find the appropriate dose for you. Also keep in mind that losing weight is difficult no matter what the cause of the weight gain. You will mostly likely need to adopt a reduced calorie diet and increased exercise to help you lose the weight. You may also want to ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist or a weight management program in your area.

Continue Learning about Hypothyroidism

What causes hypothyroidism?
There are a variety of causes for hypothyroidism. These include: Hashimoto's disease (an autoimmu...
What is hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism results when the thyroid gland produces too little thyroid hormone. The thyroid is a ...
How do I know if I have thyroid hormone deficiency?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Thyroid hormone deficiency, or hypothyroidism, is measured with a blood test. If you have thyroid ho...
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?