Is congenital hypothyroidism serious?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Congenital hypothyroidism can be serious if it is not treated soon after birth. Congenital hypothyroidism can affect your child's growth, both mentally and physically. Some children with congenital hypothyroidism develop mental retardation. However, if your child is treated within the first month of life, you can preempt the serious effects of this condition. If you are concerned about congenital hypothyroidism, be sure your child's thyroid function is tested shortly after birth.

Continue Learning about Hypothyroidism

I’m Tired All the Time—Is That Normal?
I’m Tired All the Time—Is That Normal?
Do you often feel exhausted with more than your run-of-the-mill fatigue? Hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, may be to blame. We talked to endocri...
What does it mean if I have a thyroid-stimulating hormone deficiency?
Joshua B. Bederson, MDJoshua B. Bederson, MD
TSH deficiency means that the thyroid gland is not stimulated to make enough thyroid hormone, wh...
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?
What Are the Symptoms of an Underactive Thyroid?