How do I know if I have thyroid hormone deficiency?

Thyroid hormone deficiency, or hypothyroidism, is measured with a blood test. If you have thyroid hormone deficiency, you may have symptoms of fatigue, cold intolerance, weight gain, constipation, dry skin, myalgia and menstrual irregularities.

Dr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine Specialist

Since thyroid hormones affect every cell of the body, a deficiency will usually result in a large number of signs and symptoms including low body temperature, intolerance to cold, weight gain or an inability to lose weight, depression, lack of concentration, hair loss, and fatigue. If you have any of these symptoms, it is important to check with your doctor to rule out an underactive thyroid.

Your doctor can conduct a blood test that measures thyroid hormone levels. The test assesses the quantity of triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) hormones and determines how well the body's cells respond to the hormones by measuring the level of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), a chemical released by the pituitary gland. High levels of TSH indicate that the cells of the body are not receiving adequate thyroid hormone. As a result, the pituitary goes into overdrive, frantically trying to signal the thyroid to step up its hormone output.

The medical treatment of hypothyroidism, in all but its most mild forms, involves the use of thyroid hormone, which may be in the form of desiccated thyroid or synthetic thyroid hormone, such as Synthroid or levothyroxine. It may take a month or two to stabilize the dosage. After that, periodic evaluations are based on the individual patients needs and are recommended to be carried out at least once a year.

Hunger Free Forever: The New Science of Appetite Control

From two leading authorities on appetite control, obesity, natural medicine, and food comes a breakthrough in getting healthy and staying slim without starving.Millions have spent years searching for...

Continue Learning about Hypothyroidism

I’m Tired All the Time – Is That Normal?
Do you often feel exhausted with more than your run-of-the-mill fatigue? Hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, may be to blame. We talked to endocri...
What is the incidence of hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is one of the most common chronic disorders in the United States. Roughly 11 million ...
Is congenital hypothyroidism serious?
Congenital hypothyroidism can be serious if it is not treated soon after birth. Congenital hypothyro...
What Are the Main Symptoms of an Underactive Thyroid?