Hypothyroidism occurs when too little thyroid hormone is produced. The thyroid controls the body's metabolism. This condition can slow down many of the body's functions. With treatment, hypothyroidism can be managed. However, when left untreated, it can have damaging effects on the body. Extreme cases can lead to myxedema. This causes the body's functions to slow down to the point of being life threatening. If this occurs, medical treatment should be sought immediately.
- Q Can I get elevated liver enzymes with hypothyroidism?
- Q How can hypothyroidism after menopause cause sleep apnea?
- Q What problems can hypothyroidism cause?
- Q How does congenital hypothyroidism affect the body?
- Q How do other illnesses affect hypothyroidism?
- Q Does hypothyroidism increase my risk for heart disease?