How does hypothyroidism affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hypothyroidism occurs when too little thyroid hormone is produced. The thyroid controls the body's metabolism. This condition can slow down many of the body's functions. With treatment, hypothyroidism can be managed. However, when left untreated, it can have damaging effects on the body. Extreme cases can lead to myxedema. This causes the body's functions to slow down to the point of being life threatening. If this occurs, medical treatment should be sought immediately.

Hypothyroidism affects the body in many ways. People with hypothyroidism typically have:

• fatigue (severe tiredness)
  • a constant feeling of coldness 
  • poor memory
  • poor concentration
  • constipation
  • dyspepsia
  • weight gain with poor appetite
  • course dry hair
  • dry skin
  • cool extremities
  • hair loss
  • slow pulse rate
  • leg swelling
  • abnormally heavy menstrual periods in women
  • coma, in severe cases

Continue Learning about Hypothyroidism

I’m Tired All the Time—Is That Normal?
I’m Tired All the Time—Is That Normal?
Do you often feel exhausted with more than your run-of-the-mill fatigue? Hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, may be to blame. We talked to endocri...
What is hypothyroidism?
If you’re constantly freezing, your thyroid might be to blame! Watch Dr. Oz explain the function of ...
How do I know if I have thyroid hormone deficiency?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Thyroid hormone deficiency, or hypothyroidism, is measured with a blood test. If you have thyroid ho...
What Are the Symptoms of an Underactive Thyroid?