How does congenital hypothyroidism affect the body?

Congenital hypothyroidism can affect an infant's body in a number of ways. If congenital hypothyroidism is severe and untreated, it can lead to significant deficits in mental functioning. Symptoms of congenital hypothyroidism also include the following:
  • poor feeding
  • poor weight gain
  • short stature
  • poor growth
  • poor tone
  • decreased activity
  • jaundice
  • constipation

If congenital hypothyroidism is treated early, many of its effects can be stopped before they impact your child. However, left untreated, congenital hypothyroidism can lead to problems with both mental and physical development. Many doctors will test for hypothyroidism at birth, since symptoms are not always readily apparent.

Continue Learning about Hypothyroidism

I’m Tired All the Time – Is That Normal?
Do you often feel exhausted with more than your run-of-the-mill fatigue? Hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid, may be to blame. We talked to endocri...
What are natural treatments for hypothyroidism?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Alternative treatments for hypothyroidism include “natural” medication in the form of desiccated ani...
What causes hypothyroidism?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
There are many different causes of an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). These include problems w...
What Are the Main Symptoms of an Underactive Thyroid?