What are the stages of hypopharyngeal cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hypopharyngeal cancer is staged 0 to IV. Stage 0 cancer has not invaded any local tissue or spread to lymph nodes or distant organs. Stage I cancer is more invasive locally, but has not spread to lymph nodes or distant organs. Stage II is more invasive locally than stage I. Stage III cancer is either more invasive locally than stage II, or it has spread to lymph nodes. Stage IV is divided into A, B, and C. Stage IVA cancer is more extensive than stage III, but has not spread to distant organs or tissues. Stage IVB cancer is more extensive than stage IVA and stage IVC is the most advanced. At this stage, the cancer has metastasized.

Continue Learning about Hypopharyngeal Cancer

what is hypopharyngeal cancer ?
The pharynx, or throat, is divided into the nasopharynx, oropharynx, and hypopharynx, which is the l...
how is hypopharyngeal cancer staged ?
Hypopharyngeal cancer is staged using the TNM staging system where T refers to the primary tumor, N ...
what is the rate of incidence of hypopharyngeal cancer ?
Many cancer statistics are available through the SEER (Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results) Ca...
what factors affect the prognosis of hypopharyngeal cancer ?
The patient's age and overall health, the stage of the cancer at diagnosis, and the extent of spread...