What are the stages of hypopharyngeal cancer?

Hypopharyngeal cancer is staged 0 to IV. Stage 0 cancer has not invaded any local tissue or spread to lymph nodes or distant organs. Stage I cancer is more invasive locally, but has not spread to lymph nodes or distant organs. Stage II is more invasive locally than stage I. Stage III cancer is either more invasive locally than stage II, or it has spread to lymph nodes. Stage IV is divided into A, B, and C. Stage IVA cancer is more extensive than stage III, but has not spread to distant organs or tissues. Stage IVB cancer is more extensive than stage IVA and stage IVC is the most advanced. At this stage, the cancer has metastasized.

Continue Learning about Hypopharyngeal Cancer

How is hypopharyngeal cancer staged?
Hypopharyngeal cancer is staged using the TNM staging system where T refers to the primary tumor, N ...
Are there different types of hypopharyngeal cancer?
Cancer develops when normal cells change and start to divide and grow too rapidly. The type of cell ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hypopharyngeal cancer symptoms?
If you develop symptoms consistent with hypopharyngeal cancer, it is important for you to talk to yo...
What factors affect the prognosis of hypopharyngeal cancer?
The patient's age and overall health, the stage of the cancer at diagnosis, and the extent of spread...