What factors affect the prognosis of hypopharyngeal cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The patient's age and overall health, the stage of the cancer at diagnosis, and the extent of spread, or metastasis, all affect the prognosis of hypopharyngeal cancer. While the stage defines whether the cancer has spread, the total volume of cancer that has spread is also significant in the determination of prognosis. Additionally, the location of the cancer within the hypopharynx is important as this may affect surgical access and therefore the ability of the doctor to adequately resect the tumor. Finally, you may decrease your chances of successful treatment if you smoke while undergoing radiation therapy.

Continue Learning about Hypopharyngeal Cancer

What are the stages of hypopharyngeal cancer?
Hypopharyngeal cancer is staged 0 to IV. Stage 0 cancer has not invaded any local tissue or spread t...
Are there different types of hypopharyngeal cancer?
Cancer develops when normal cells change and start to divide and grow too rapidly. The type of cell ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hypopharyngeal cancer symptoms?
If you develop symptoms consistent with hypopharyngeal cancer, it is important for you to talk to yo...
Is there a cure for hypopharyngeal cancer?
While there are treatments available for hypopharyngeal cancer, the overall five year survival rate ...