Are there different types of hypopharyngeal cancer?

Cancer develops when normal cells change and start to divide and grow too rapidly. The type of cell that undergoes change is used to classify different cancers. While some cells, like those found in the blood, are round, squamous cells are flat and tend to stick to one another, forming a lining. Squamous cell carcinoma derives from squamous cells located in the hypopharynx. Adenocarcinoma, adenoid cystic carcinoma, and mucoepidermoid carcinoma derive from salivary gland cells located in the hypopharyngeal area. These are much rarer.

Continue Learning about Hypopharyngeal Cancer

What factors affect the prognosis of hypopharyngeal cancer?
The patient's age and overall health, the stage of the cancer at diagnosis, and the extent of spread...
Is hypopharyngeal cancer serious?
Hypopharyngeal cancer can be very serious as this form of cancer tends to spread quickly. The cancer...
What are the stages of hypopharyngeal cancer?
Hypopharyngeal cancer is staged 0 to IV. Stage 0 cancer has not invaded any local tissue or spread t...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hypopharyngeal cancer symptoms?
If you develop symptoms consistent with hypopharyngeal cancer, it is important for you to talk to yo...