What should I do if my blood sugar is low and I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes and you think your blood glucose is low, do this right away:

1. Test blood glucose if you can. This helps make sure that the symptoms are coming from low blood glucose, not something else.

2. Treat with the "15 - 15" rule if your blood glucose is below target, or you have symptoms of low blood glucose:

• Take 15 grams of quick-sugar carbohydrate. If the person can't eat, drink, or respond -- or if the person has passed out or is having seizures, it probably means that blood glucose is severely low.
  • Wait 15 minutes after taking a quick sugar source, then recheck blood glucose. If blood glucose is still low, eat another 15 grams of quick-sugar carbohydrate until your blood glucose starts to rise.
3. When blood glucose is back up in your target range, rest for 15 to 20 more minutes before returning to normal activity. If your next meal is more than an hour away, have a snack of peanut butter, cheese, crackers, a meat sandwich, or a glass of milk.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia

5 Essential Questions about Hypoglycemia, Answered
You might have experienced hypoglycemia if you’ve ever had a mood swing or felt shaky between meals. Hypoglycemia is most common among people with dia...
How do other illnesses affect moderate hypoglycemia?
Moderate hypoglycemia is often related to or caused by other illnesses. Diabetes is associated with ...
What can I do to stay safe if I have hypoglycemia unawareness?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Some safety nets for hypoglycemia unawareness include:•   Increase the number of times you check you...
Do You Know the Signs of Hypoglycemia?
Do You Know the Signs of Hypoglycemia?