What can I do if I have diabetes and my glucose falls before my period?

Strategies for Lows before Your Period

• If you use insulin, work with your health care team to gradually decrease the amount of insulin you take a few days before your period starts. A decrease of 1 or 2 units of insulin may do the trick.
  • Reducing diabetes medications may help, especially if you are concerned about having to take extra food. Ask your provider about the safest way to go about this.
  • Try spreading your carbohydrate intake over the course of the day. Multiple small meals can help even out your glucose levels.
  • Eat a small amount of carbohydrate before you ­work out.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia Treatment

How is diet used to control hypoglycemia?
Since hypoglycemia is related to the amount of sugar in the blood, and therefore to the food you con...
How do I treat low blood sugar if I have diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Treating any low is simply a matter of taking on some sugar. All diabetics should carry glucose tabs...
How do I care for someone with hypoglycemia?
If someone in your care has hypoglycemia, you should do your best to make sure they adhere to their ...
How do I treat hypoglycemia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You can treat hypoglycemia by taking some fast-acting carbohydrates. These are foods that contain lo...