What can I do if I have diabetes and my glucose falls before my period?

Strategies for Lows before Your Period

• If you use insulin, work with your health care team to gradually decrease the amount of insulin you take a few days before your period starts. A decrease of 1 or 2 units of insulin may do the trick.
  • Reducing diabetes medications may help, especially if you are concerned about having to take extra food. Ask your provider about the safest way to go about this.
  • Try spreading your carbohydrate intake over the course of the day. Multiple small meals can help even out your glucose levels.
  • Eat a small amount of carbohydrate before you ­work out.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia Treatment

What are the treatment options for mild hypoglycemia?
For mild hypoglycemia, the first step is to raise your blood sugar to a normal level. This may invol...
Is there a cure for hypoglycemia?
Hypoglycemia is a condition caused by other diseases, rather than a disease itself. As a result, the...
What should I expect when I see my doctor about my hypoglycemia?
If you see your doctor about hypoglycemia symptoms, you should be prepared to talk about your sympto...
How often do diabetes medications cause low blood sugar?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Low blood sugar (hypo) is the cost of doing business with some diabetes medications, especially insu...