How do I care for someone with hypoglycemia?

If someone in your care has hypoglycemia, you should do your best to make sure they adhere to their doctor's treatment plan. Especially in people with diabetes, managing the diabetes by careful attention to the doctor's instructions is vital to avoid hypoglycemia. Become familiar with the symptoms of hypoglycemia, and treat it as soon as symptoms appear. Make sure you know where sugary foods and drinks, or glucose tablets, are located and can get to them quickly and easily in case of an episode of low blood sugar. If the person you are caring for is experiencing very severe hypoglycemia and cannot eat, you may need to inject glucagon, so be sure you know how to do this correctly.

If you are caring for someone who has hypoglycemia but does not have diabetes, controlling the person's diet may be necessary in order to avoid low blood sugar. Giving the person several small meals rather than three large ones may help. It may also be helpful to consult a dietician about foods that will help avoid hypoglycemia.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia Treatment

How do I treat low blood sugar if I have diabetes?
Melissa Joy DobbinsMelissa Joy Dobbins
Knowing how to properly treat low blood sugar is very important and often misunderstood. The best w...
How is surgery used to treat hypoglycemia?
In rare cases, hypoglycemia is caused by a tumor in the pancreas. Cells in the pancreas produce insu...
How do I care for someone with severe hypoglycemia?
If someone in your care has severe hypoglycemia, you should do your best to make sure they adhere to...
How do I treat hypoglycemia?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
For a diabetic with hypoglycemia from 50 to 70 mg/dL treat with 15 grams of carbohydrate than rechec...