How do I care for someone with hypoglycemia?

If someone in your care has hypoglycemia, you should do your best to make sure they adhere to their doctor's treatment plan. Especially in people with diabetes, managing the diabetes by careful attention to the doctor's instructions is vital to avoid hypoglycemia. Become familiar with the symptoms of hypoglycemia, and treat it as soon as symptoms appear. Make sure you know where sugary foods and drinks, or glucose tablets, are located and can get to them quickly and easily in case of an episode of low blood sugar. If the person you are caring for is experiencing very severe hypoglycemia and cannot eat, you may need to inject glucagon, so be sure you know how to do this correctly.

If you are caring for someone who has hypoglycemia but does not have diabetes, controlling the person's diet may be necessary in order to avoid low blood sugar. Giving the person several small meals rather than three large ones may help. It may also be helpful to consult a dietician about foods that will help avoid hypoglycemia.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia Treatment

Is there a cure for hypoglycemia?
Hypoglycemia is a condition caused by other diseases, rather than a disease itself. As a result, the...
How do I treat low blood sugar if I have diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Treating any low is simply a matter of taking on some sugar. All diabetics should carry glucose tabs...
What can I do if I have diabetes and my glucose falls before my period?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Strategies for Lows before Your PeriodIf you use insulin, work with your health care team to gradual...
How often do diabetes medications cause low blood sugar?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Low blood sugar (hypo) is the cost of doing business with some diabetes medications, especially insu...