How do I care for someone with severe hypoglycemia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
If someone in your care has severe hypoglycemia, you should do your best to make sure they adhere to their doctor's treatment plan. Especially in people with diabetes, managing the diabetes by careful attention to the doctor's instructions is vital to avoid hypoglycemia. Make sure you know where sugary foods and drinks, or glucose tablets, are located and can get to them quickly and easily in case of an episode of low blood sugar. Become familiar with the symptoms of hypoglycemia, and treat it as soon as symptoms appear. If the person you are caring for is experiencing very severe hypoglycemia and cannot eat, you may need to inject glucagon, so be sure you know how to do this correctly.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia Treatment

What are the treatment options for mild hypoglycemia?
For mild hypoglycemia, the first step is to raise your blood sugar to a normal level. This may invol...
What can I do if I have diabetes and my glucose falls before my period?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Strategies for Lows before Your PeriodIf you use insulin, work with your health care team to gradual...
What supplies should I keep on hand to treat hypoglycemia from diabetes?
Blood glucose can drop when you least expect it. Be sure to have supplies handy so you can be ready ...
How should I be treated if I pass out from hypoglycemia due to diabetes?
It's important to treat hypoglycemia quickly because hypoglycemia can get worse and you could pass o...