What are the complications of severe hypoglycemia?

Severe hypoglycemia occurs when blood sugar is dangerously low. The brain, like other parts of the body, needs fuel to function properly. This fuel is glucose, a type of sugar. When blood sugar is so low that the brain cannot get the fuel it needs, it stops functioning correctly. This causes complications, such as loss of consciousness, seizures, or death.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia Complications

Why is low blood sugar dangerous?
Low blood sugar can be dangerous if it is severely low (usually less than 30). It can cause confusio...
How can blood sugar changes affect my mood if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You can have emotional changes with high and low blood glucose. When blood glucose is high, you ...
How does hypoglycemia affect the body?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Hypoglycemia is low blood glucose. When blood glucose levels get too low in people with diabetes, th...
What are the complications of hypoglycemia?
The complications of hypoglycemia include dizziness, nausea, cold sweats, a fast heart rate, con...