Can anyone use hypnotherapy?

Hypnotherapy is safe for most people. However, it should not be used on anyone who suffers from psychotic symptoms such as delusions or hallucinations. People with epilepsy have also reported acute episodes following hypnotism, although a connection has not yet been proven. Make sure that the hypnotherapist is aware of any health issues you have, including cardiovascular difficulties. Anyone under the influence of alcohol or drugs should not use hypnotherapy. If hypnotherapy is used for anxiety disorder, the patient should get a confirmed diagnosis from a professional first. Also, if hypnotherapy is used for pain control, the patient should first be evaluated by a medical specialist to determine the source of the pain.

Continue Learning about Hypnotherapy

Can I hear the therapist in hypnotherapy if I am in a trance?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Hypnotherapy induces a trance that is no deeper than a daydream state.  Therefore, you can hear the ...
What is the history of hypnotherapy?
The origin of hypnotherapy can be dated back to the 1700s to a physician named Franz Anton Mesmer. M...
What does hypnotherapy feel like?
Hypnotherapy temporarily alters brain wave activity, lowers blood pressure and lowers heart rate. It...
How can hypnosis help me?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you have stress in your life or feel under pressure, hypnosis may help you relax. Hypnosis may he...