What is hypersensitivity pneumonitis?

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is when the lungs become inflamed due to an allergic reaction to inhaling a foreign substance. This can be dust, chemicals, molds, or fungus. It often happens in the workplace to people who have repeated exposure to these foreign substances.

Continue Learning about Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

Is farmer's lung the same as hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
Gerard W. Frank, MDGerard W. Frank, MD
Farmer’s lung is a term for an allergy to certain molds that are found in hay, and is the most commo...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hypersensitivity pneumonitis symptoms?
Yes, talk to your doctor if you have symptoms of hypersensitivity pneumonitis so a diagnosis can be ...
Why are bird handlers prone to hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
Bird handlers are exposed to feathers, bird droppings, and many other materials that can lead to hyp...
What increases my risk for hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
Risk factors for getting hypersensitivity pneumonitis include working at farms, offices, or manufact...