Why are bird handlers prone to hypersensitivity pneumonitis?

Bird handlers are exposed to feathers, bird droppings, and many other materials that can lead to hypersensitivity pneumonitis. This illness also goes by alternative names of bird fancier's lung, pigeon breeder's lung, and hen worker's lung. Not all breeds of birds lead to this disease. Primarily pigeons, chickens, and parakeets are the culprits.

Continue Learning about Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

How do chronic and acute hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP) differ?
Symptoms of acute hypersensitivity pneumonitis include fever, chills, cough, generally feeling ill, ...
What is hypersensitivity pneumonitis?
Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is when the lungs become inflamed due to an allergic reaction to inhali...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hypersensitivity pneumonitis symptoms?
Yes, talk to your doctor if you have symptoms of hypersensitivity pneumonitis so a diagnosis can be ...
Is hypersensitivity pneumonitis serious?
Yes, hypersensitivity pneumonitis is serious. If left untreated, the acute form of this illness can ...