What is hypermobility syndrome?

When a child or adolescent experiencing chronic joint pain or dislocations visits the doctor, one of the conditions they look for is benign joint hypermobility syndrome or hypermobile ligamentous laxity. But this condition is much more commonly referred to as “double-jointed.”

The signs of this condition are joints that are more flexible than usual and can be extended, sometimes easily and painlessly, beyond the normal range of motion. The condition occurs when the tissues holding the joint together, mainly ligaments, are too loose.

Benign joint hypermobility syndrome is thought to be an inherited connective tissue disorder. Up to 15 percent of children have the condition, which can affect a few joints or every joint in their body.

Hypermobility syndrome (commonly called being double-jointed) occurs when you have the ability to move your joints past a normal range, which may or may not be accompanied by pain. The hypermobility may allow you to bend your thumb back to your forearm or hyperextend your elbows, for example. More common among children, hypermobility syndrome does decrease with age. Hypermobility syndrome can make you more susceptible to injury, such as dislocations and sprains, and eventually artthritis. In rare cases, hypermobility syndrome can be a feature of a more serious illness, like Marfan syndrome or Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.

Continue Learning about Hypermobility Syndrome

What increases my risk for hypermobility syndrome?
In the majority of cases, hypermobility syndrome is believed to be inherited, so your risk is increa...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hypermobility syndrome symptoms?
If you have pain with your joint hypermobility, you should talk with your doctor. In rare cases, thi...
What are the treatment options for hypermobility syndrome?
Hypermobility syndrome is usually treated with physical therapy. Gentle exercise can strengthen the ...
How is hypermobility syndrome diagnosed?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
The first step to diagnosing joint hypermobility syndrome is calculating a score that measures gener...