What type of damage does high blood glucose do to my body?

Over time, high blood glucose levels can damage both blood vessels and nerves in your body. This can result in poor blood flow to your hands and feet in addition to your legs, arms, and vital organs. Poor blood flow to these areas increases your risk of infections, heart problems, stroke, blindness, foot or leg amputation, and kidney disease. In addition, you can either lose the feeling in your feet or have increased pain in your feet and legs. Damage to your feet can occur from mild injuries, and you may not know it. Finally, damage to blood vessels and nerves can lead to sexual problems that are difficult to treat. For all these reasons, you should make a major effort to avoid high blood glucose levels in your body.

Continue Learning about Hyperglycemia

Insulin Resistance and Hyperglycemia
Insulin Resistance and Hyperglycemia
Insulin resistance is generally the first problem that develops when a person has type 2 diabetes. Take an up close look at insulin’s role in the body...
When should I go to the emergency room if I have diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have diabetes, call 911 or go to the hospital emergency room if: You have these signs of v...
How can I resist taking too much insulin to treat high blood glucose?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Instead of treating high blood glucose in one big swoop, take it down in small steps. Trying to get ...
Healthy Spices for Healthy Blood Sugar
Healthy Spices for Healthy Blood Sugar