What is the benefit of smiling?

Even when you don't feel like it, the simple act of smiling makes you feel better. A response called facial feedback indicates that when you smile, you send a signal to your brain that says, "I am happy." Additionally, if you're smiling, you're likely to seem more approachable and happy to others -- and people are more likely to smile back.
Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Begin the practice of intentionally smiling. A scientist studying facial expressions tells us that when people have smile on their faces, they release more serotonin and endorphins (happiness hormones) than nonsmilers. Thich Nhat Hanh and his Holiness the Dali Lama are adamant that a smile is the first step to a life of mental, physical, and spiritual health. Begin a practice of smiling to shift any situation into an optimistic opportunity.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
A strong smile has numerous benefits. It increases the production of serotonin, which has been scientifically shown to elevate mood. A full, genuine smile automatically exudes confidence. It is a widely-held belief that people with great smiles are more self-assured.

This content orignally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Emotions

How Do Emotions Affect the Body?
How Do Emotions Affect the Body?
If you type “angriest” into Google search, you get: Angriest Man in Brooklyn (a 2014 Robin Williams movie); “Angriest Dog in the World” (a comic strip...
How do my emotions affect my breathing pattern?
Pam GroutPam Grout
When a person's physical or emotional state changes, breathing changes right along with it. And inte...
What does it mean to be agitated?
Agitation is a condition in which a person is unable to relax and be still. The person may be very t...
3 Ways to Boost Your Mood
3 Ways to Boost Your Mood