What is the benefit of smiling?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
A strong smile has numerous benefits. It increases the production of serotonin, which has been scientifically shown to elevate mood. A full, genuine smile automatically exudes confidence. It is a widely-held belief that people with great smiles are more self-assured.

This content orignally appeared on doctoroz.com.
Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Begin the practice of intentionally smiling. A scientist studying facial expressions tells us that when people have smile on their faces, they release more serotonin and endorphins (happiness hormones) than nonsmilers. Thich Nhat Hanh and his Holiness the Dali Lama are adamant that a smile is the first step to a life of mental, physical, and spiritual health. Begin a practice of smiling to shift any situation into an optimistic opportunity.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...
Even when you don't feel like it, the simple act of smiling makes you feel better. A response called facial feedback indicates that when you smile, you send a signal to your brain that says, "I am happy." Additionally, if you're smiling, you're likely to seem more approachable and happy to others -- and people are more likely to smile back.

Continue Learning about Emotions

Combat Feeling Sad with a Good Memory
Combat Feeling Sad with a Good Memory
Do you ever find yourself feeling sad but don't know exactly why? Tempted to just brush past it? Well, don't. Understanding the source of your sadness...
What is gratitude?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
Gratitude is one of the most important signature strengths (built-in capacities for certain thoughts...
What should I do if I feel guilty when I am not nice to people?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
In my Food and Feelings Workbook I spend a whole juicy chapter talking about guilt, so if you want t...
3 Ways to Boost Your Mood
3 Ways to Boost Your Mood