What can I do to help improve my mood?

Here are some things you can do to improve your mental health, help your heart, and lengthen your lifespan:
  • Stretch it out! I do yoga every day. It keeps me calm, focused and fit. Exercises like yoga raises levels of endorphins, which relieves stress and gives your brain the feeling of pleasure.
  • Take your omega-3s! Our body needs them to function. Research has shown that omega-3 fatty acids impact heart health by reducing triglyceride levels. However, in addition to helping the heart, it also helps with depression and low mood. Many psychiatrists recommend it for their patients for depression. You can increase your omega-3s with a supplement or in your diet by eating more salmon, flaxseeds, and walnuts.
  • Get more sunshine! Inadequate sunlight is a common cause of depression (called Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD), which should be considered if your depression is worse in the winter. If you suspect a connection between depression and the time of year, you may benefit from a certain kind of lamp. Talk to your doctor about this.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Emotions

How can I control my emotions?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
The negative effects of overwhelming emotions often have more to do with our reaction to the emo...
How do I become fearless?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
Fearlessness is not the absence of fear. Rather, it’s the mastery of fear. Courage, my compatriot So...
Why is laughter infectious?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Scientists don't have a concrete reason. However, for ages laughter has been a way to demonstrate th...
What is nervous laughter?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
As awkward as it is, nervous laughter is uncontrollable. It is a subconscious attempt to calm down d...