What can I do if a fear I thought I had overcome still makes me afraid?

Todd Farchione, PhD
The greatest reward for overcoming a fear comes from being able to do the things that you were unable to do because of being afraid. So if, for instance, you overcome your fear of flying, you might just consider taking a nice trip to the Bahamas, Bermuda or some other destination of your choice.

However, if being exposed to a fear doesn’t go the way you expected, try not to get discouraged. You can always try to break the process into smaller steps or make some changes to the process that will allow you to more successfully face the situation in the future. Just keep chipping away at it. Before you know it, you’ll find yourself confronting situations in a way you never thought possible.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Emotions

How Do Emotions Affect the Body?
How Do Emotions Affect the Body?
If you type “angriest” into Google search, you get: Angriest Man in Brooklyn (a 2014 Robin Williams movie); “Angriest Dog in the World” (a comic strip...
What is nervous laughter?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
As awkward as it is, nervous laughter is uncontrollable. It is a subconscious attempt to calm down d...
Why should I share my emotions with my partner if I have bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Remember, bipolar disorder is a mood disorder. You are more likely to experience emotional shift...
3 Ways to Boost Your Mood
3 Ways to Boost Your Mood