Is creativity linked to sadness?

Some think so. Wake Forest University professor Eric G. Wilson says serious depression is a problem worthy of treatment, but "mild to moderate sadness," also called melancholia, shouldn't be. Embracing some sadness can boost creative thinking, Wilson says, allowing for more complex relationships with the rest of the world. Melancholia is a middle ground between bliss and depression, where a host of dreamers, artists, and thinkers have derived inspiration.

Continue Learning about Emotions

Welcome to Sharecare
Welcome to Sharecare
The Sharecare app can help you gather vital health information all in one place—and it goes beyond just numbers, like steps taken and blood pressure. ...
Why do we laugh at jokes that aren't funny?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
It depends on who the teller is. We use laughter to help get along with others. We also tend to laug...
When should I be worried about my anger?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
When should you be worried about anger? When it begins to interfere with your ability to functio...
3 Ways to Boost Your Mood
3 Ways to Boost Your Mood