How can I put my fears in perspective?

Todd Farchione, PhD
Looking at your anxious and fearful thoughts and challenging them before, during and after facing a frightening situation can be a good way to adaptively manage your emotions. When you look closely at how you’re thinking about a feared situation or object, or how you are describing it to others, you might notice that you’re overestimating the likelihood of something bad happening and/or underestimating your ability to cope with an anticipated negative outcome. It can be useful to actually write your thoughts down so you can look at them more closely.

Once you’ve identified the thoughts, you can then work towards challenging them and put things more in perspective.

Ask yourself questions like: What evidence do I have for this fear or belief? What is the worst that could happen? How bad would that be? Work toward considering other alternative, less fearful outcomes and look closely at the evidence to try to develop a more balanced perspective. Challenging your thoughts is also a useful strategy for building up your confidence to face your fears. It can essentially set the stage for the next step -- changing your behaviors.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Emotions

How Do Emotions Affect the Body?
How Do Emotions Affect the Body?
If you type “angriest” into Google search, you get: Angriest Man in Brooklyn (a 2014 Robin Williams movie); “Angriest Dog in the World” (a comic strip...
Being a nice girl, how should I handle other people’s emotions?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Hurting people and allowing them to feel bad is a special skill subset in handling emotions. We can’...
How can feeling guilty affect health?
Let’s get straight to it: Guilt can shorten your life. It weakens your immune system. A study co...
What Foods Will Help Boost My Mood?
What Foods Will Help Boost My Mood?