Can I laugh my way thin?

Laughing is a reaction typically caused by good feelings and emotions. A study performed at Vanderbilt University showed that laughing can burn between 10 and 40 calories per day with 10 to 15 minutes of laughter. In the short term, laughing will not help you lose weight. However, if you’re laughing, chances are, you are feeling good!
Laughter is an emotional response your body gives in response to something you find funny or humorous. 
Science has proven that laughing is not only good for your health because it lowers the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline and increases the feel good hormones beta-endorphines and human growth hormone but it also burns extra calories and tones the facial and abdominal muscles.

All it takes is about 15 minutes a day to burn 40 extra calories.  That’s about 4-5 pounds in a year, just by adding laughter to your daily routine.
You might have fun trying. Laughing for a total of 15 minutes daily over the course of a year will burn off about 4 pounds. 

Continue Learning about Emotions

Welcome to Sharecare
Welcome to Sharecare
The Sharecare app can help you gather vital health information all in one place—and it goes beyond just numbers, like steps taken and blood pressure. ...
Why is giving thanks and expressing gratitude important to your health?
Saint Agnes Medical CenterSaint Agnes Medical Center
Giving thanks and expressing gratitude is important to your health because it is linked to better mo...
How did my childhood teach me not to speak openly and freely?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Of course I’m going to enlighten you on how family affects your capacity to use your voice to expres...
What Are the Physical Effects of Anger?
What Are the Physical Effects of Anger?