Which virus strains does the HPV vaccine protect against?

Clinical trials have shown that both Gardasil and Cervarix are safe and 100% effective in preventing HPV strains 16 and 18, which cause 70% of cervical cancers. Gardasil is also 99% effective in preventing HPV strains 6 and 11, which cause about 90% of genital wart cases. Both vaccines are given in three injections over six months. Although both Gardasil and Cervarix prevent two of the most serious high-risk HPV strains in women not previously exposed to them, they do not protect against all cancer-causing strains, so the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends continued screening with regular Pap tests.

Continue Learning about HPV

Dr. Diane Harper - What is the association between HPV infection and cancer?
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?
How Safe Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Vaccines?
What Are the Benefits of the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine?