What should I do if I test positive for high-risk human papillomavirus?

If you test positive for high-risk human papillomavirus (HPV), don’t panic. Understand that most HPV infections will resolve without any specific treatment. In the event of persistent infection, the natural course of the infection will likely allow for appropriate intervention and treatment before a cervical cancer develops. It is important to understand, also, that a positive high-risk HPV screen does not give any information as to the timing of infection. Many women want to know when the initial infection occurred which is impossible to tell from the high-risk HPV test. Follow through with further testing as recommended by your gynecologist. Even with persistent infections, the progression from precancerous changes on the cervix to actual cervical cancer can take anywhere from 8 to 10 years. Therefore, with routine follow up, many cases of cervical cancer can be detected in the precancerous early stages, allowing ample time for intervention, treatment and cure.

Continue Learning about HPV

Why Boys Need to Get the HPV Vaccine Too
The Last Waltz was the title of The Band’s final 1976 performance at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. The Band’s drummer and vocalist Levon H...
Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my Pap test was normal?
 Dr. Diane Harper Dr. Diane Harper
Although the Pap test is vital, it won't always identify human papillomavirus (HPV). In this video, ...
What types of cancers are associated with human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Human papillomavirus (HPV) can cause different types of cancer, including that of the cervix, va...
Dr. Diane Harper - Who Is a Candidate for the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine?