What are some of the concerns parents have about the HPV vaccine?

I think safety is the biggest concern parents have about the HPV vaccine. Obviously, parents want to make sure anything they give to their child is going to be safe and effective. Another concern I hear a lot is parents don’t understand why it is necessary to give their child the HPV vaccine when their kids aren’t sexually active and potentially won’t be sexually active with more than one person in their lifetime. It’s the most prevalent STD, so even those who aren’t having sex now and will only have one partner in the future have a high likelihood of being exposed to it.

Initially, Kellie Ernzen Kruger, MD, internal medicine-pediatrics specialist at UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica heard concern from some parents about the potential for their children to receive the wrong message from being given the vaccine. Administration of the vaccine is accompanied by counseling designed to convey what it protects against and what it doesn’t, as well as the other risk factors associated with sex. When all of this is explained, Dr. Kruger says, “most parents are very supportive of giving this to their daughter.”

Continue Learning about HPV

How Safe Is the HPV Vaccine?
How Safe Is the HPV Vaccine?
Occasionally, there’s a news story about someone who was harmed by a vaccination -- but without any scientific evidence. It always makes us think of t...
How do I know if I have a human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Most people are asymptomatic and may only be diagnosed on a routine checkup. Pap smears may detect a...
How common are the diseases caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?
Each year, HPV causes close to 27,000 cancers, affecting about 17,600 women and 9,300 men. HPV cause...
How to Protect Yourself from HPV
How to Protect Yourself from HPV