What are some of the concerns parents have about the HPV vaccine?

Initially, Kellie Ernzen Kruger, MD, internal medicine-pediatrics specialist at UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica heard concern from some parents about the potential for their children to receive the wrong message from being given the vaccine. Administration of the vaccine is accompanied by counseling designed to convey what it protects against and what it doesn’t, as well as the other risk factors associated with sex. When all of this is explained, Dr. Kruger says, “most parents are very supportive of giving this to their daughter.”

I think safety is the biggest concern parents have about the HPV vaccine. Obviously, parents want to make sure anything they give to their child is going to be safe and effective. Another concern I hear a lot is parents don’t understand why it is necessary to give their child the HPV vaccine when their kids aren’t sexually active and potentially won’t be sexually active with more than one person in their lifetime. It’s the most prevalent STD, so even those who aren’t having sex now and will only have one partner in the future have a high likelihood of being exposed to it.

Continue Learning about HPV

What You Need to Know About the HPV Vaccine
Human papillomavirus (HPV), which is spread through vaginal, anal and oral sex, is the most common sexually transmitted infection in the United States...
What is HPV DNA screening?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Under the Affordable Care Act, one of the women’s preventive services that is covered without cost-s...
How long does human papillomavirus (HPV) infection last?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
It is believed that, once infected with a type of HPV, you will have that type for the rest of your ...
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?