What should I ask my doctor about human papillomavirus (HPV)?

The following are questions you may want to ask your healthcare provider about human papillomavirus (HPV):
  • What is HPV?
  • What cervical cancer screening tests do I need at this exam?
  • (If you are 21 to 29 years of age) If my Pap test results are not normal, will you do an HPV test?
  • If I have an abnormal Pap test, does this mean I have HPV?
  • (If you are 30 or older) Are you doing both an HPV test and a Pap test together?
  • Will the HPV test tell me if I have the two most high-risk types of HPV -- HPV 16 or 18?
  • What happens next if my HPV test shows that I have HPV?
  • I want to know my test results, even if everything comes back fine. How can I get the results?
  • Since I no longer need annual Pap tests, what tests will you do during my annual visit?
Can I get the HPV vaccine?

Continue Learning about HPV

How Safe Is the HPV Vaccine?
How Safe Is the HPV Vaccine?
Occasionally, there’s a news story about someone who was harmed by a vaccination -- but without any scientific evidence. It always makes us think of t...
What is HPV DNA screening?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Under the Affordable Care Act, one of the women’s preventive services that is covered without cost-s...
How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Kristine A. Borrison, MDKristine A. Borrison, MD
Use condoms and limit the number of sexual partners to protect yourself against HPV. Find out why sa...
Dr. Diane Harper - Who Is a Candidate for the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine?