Should I vaccinate my children against human papillomavirus (HPV)?

Human papillomavirus (HPV) is a common sexually transmitted disease that is associated with several types of cancer. Parents need to make an informed decision about whether their children should be vaccinated. When the HPV vaccine first came out in 2006, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommended it for girls only, since the disease was most closely associated with cervical cancer. But additional studies linking HPV to cancers that also affect men prompted the FDA to approve the vaccine for boys in 2009.

Continue Learning about HPV

How Safe Is the HPV Vaccine?
How Safe Is the HPV Vaccine?
Occasionally, there’s a news story about someone who was harmed by a vaccination -- but without any scientific evidence. It always makes us think of t...
Are there different strains of human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Martin M. Anderson, MDMartin M. Anderson, MD
There are many strains of human papillomavirus (HPV), but the most common are divided into two types...
What is the treatment for genital HPV in men?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
HPV stands for human papillomavirus. There are many strains of this virus. All of them tend to infec...
What You Need to Know About the HPV Vaccine